Most people are under the false belief that solar panels are only functional and effective when the day is bright and sunny. You may believe that solar panels aren’t for you if you live in a shaded or cloudy region. However, we’re here to inform you that this is incorrect. With the recent advances in technology, scientists have enhanced certain solar panels in a way that they’re able to receive and trap sunlight even in the shade. Does that clear things up? They will be once you check out our list of best solar panels for shade.
Solar panels are now being constructed so that people can use them in places with partial or complete shade. It involves technicalities like half-cut solar cells and other devices called miro-inverters, but it is possible.
If a solar panel is kept in a shaded area, its power output will reduce significantly. This event occurs because the photovoltaic cells in the panel require light to produce power. However, this doesn’t mean that there are not some very efficient ways around it.
Before we dive into some of our top choices for the best solar panels for shade, we must answer a question we think might be on your mind.
Can a Solar Panel Work Successfully in Shaded Conditions?
The simple answer is yes. Solar panels can work effectively in shades; however, they will produce less current than they would in direct sunlight. However, if all-in-all there’s enough sunlight for four hours every day, it’s enough to make it worthwhile.
Moreover, the current that they produce is dependent on a number of factors like the duration of shading, the inverter set-up within the panel, and the technology used in the solar panel. So, solar panels might work perfectly fine, given you choose the right one according to the area you’re residing in.
The 3 Best Solar Panels for Shade
Let’s take a look at the very best solar panels for shade that we could find.
1. Tycon Systems 24V 325W Solar Panel
This 325 W solar panel comes with the best settings for shaded areas. It has optimized low-light performance, making it perfect to be used in shaded regions. Furthermore, it has high-efficiency tempered glass that traps a greater amount of sunlight and works efficiently.
- 24V 325W with a 25 Year Manufacturer Warranty
- Outstanding performance in shaded areas
- Low Iron Tempered Glass that is highly efficient
- Rugged, extruded, and anodized Aluminum frame
- Many applications: Can be used in surveillance cameras, outdoor lighting, and on-grid rooftop systems
- Higher price point
2. Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel (Slim Design)
This 100-watt solar panel is one of the most popular ones out there. It comes in a sleek design with a monocrystalline photovoltaic cell, a great absorber of sunlight, making the design perfect for shaded regions. It is compatible with different types of mounting systems due to its versatility.
In addition to this, it can also be used in several applications. Solar panels can be used in your home, motor home, or even during a bus conversion. It comes with a waterproof junction box, which means it is usable in less than ideal snow and rain conditions.
- Perfect for outdoor and off-grid applications.
- Can be used with Z-Brackets, Pole Mounts and Tilt Mounts
- Functional in low-light conditions along with high winds (2400PA) and snow loads (5400PA)
- Stiff and has high impact resistance which means its durable
- 25-year power output warranty and five-year manufacturer warranty
- Corrosion-resistant aluminum frame for extended outdoor use, meaning it is likely to last for years.
- Bypass diodes minimize power drop caused by shade and ensure excellent performance in low-light environments.
- Pre-drilled holes on the back of the panel allow for fast mounting and securing.
- Higher price point
3. Trina Solar TSM-240PA05 Solar Panel 240 Watts
This 240-watt solar panel comes with all your shade-loving needs. Its polycrystalline technology offers more durability in case of rain or snow. It has a silver-framed technology that makes it water and frost-resistant. It has integrated bypass diodes that help maintain current in shade settings while also protecting solar cell hot spots in partial shadowing.
There is also a new 3 Bus-Bar design that helps with long-term performance and reliability.
- Polycrystalline Panel Technology
- No problems with water freezing and warping.
- Low power tolerance of +3% helps higher output power
- Efficient in shade and low-light
- Good long-term performance and reliability.
- Good load resistance capabilities for heavy winds.
- Highly transparent, low-iron, and tempered glass and anti-reflective coating increase the energy yield.
- Eco-friendly packaging is entirely made out of cardboard.
- Relatively low-cost
- Ten-year limited warranty on 90 percent power output and 25-year limited warranty on 80 percent power output
- Polycrystalline panels are not as efficient as monocrystalline panels in energy conservation.
A Significant Feature to Consider
We’ve talked a fair bit about monocrystalline and polycrystalline panels thus far. Which feature is better and found in the best solar panels for shade?
Monocrystalline Panels vs. Polycrystalline Panels
Monocrystalline panels are better if you’re living in a place that is often overcast. Monocrystalline technology is better in terms of efficiency. This is because monocrystalline panels use a purer form of silicon, due to which resistance to electricity flow is reduced in the kind of cell.
Polycrystalline panels, however, are more affordable compared to monocrystalline panels that are more premium in their design. You might also consider choosing polycrystalline panels if you prefer the color blue to black in your home due to aesthetics. Furthermore, if you live in a hotter region, monocrystalline panels have a higher temperature coefficient that minimizes output degradation and allows for increased efficiency.
Our Final Thoughts
It is tricky to find the best solar panels for shade while ensuring that they are well-suited for you. However, we hope we have brought you some clarity.
If you still can’t seem to decide what to go with, our recommendation would be the Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel (Slim Design) because it uses monocrystalline technology and has bypass diodes that are perfect for shaded regions. Do your research before buying a solar panel because only you can truly know what you need. Happy shopping!